All things considered, our kids travelled like pros for three weeks as we explored Patagonia, Buenos Aires and Colonia de Sacramento in Uruguay with Erica’s parents. Much to the kids’ dismay we managed to squeeze in some study time along the way, but the best part was watching them learn simply by seeing new and amazing sights along the way. At times it can difficult to appreciate how wonderful this time together has been for all of us when Ben is squealing, Elliott’s yelling or Molly’s screaming about how her clothes are too tight. It sometimes takes just a deep breath and a look out the window at the gorgeous lakes of Bariloche to gain perspective (terrific wine doesn’t hurt either).
This segment of our year abroad marked 6 months since we left Portland, Molly’s 4th birthday, a long anticipated trip to Patagonia, a visit from grandparents and our 2nd border crossing to renew our 90 day tourist stamp. We thought it would be fun to share some of the kids’ favorite experiences from the trip south. Needless to say the best part for all of them was seeing Grandma and Grandpa.
- Bariloche chocolate (check this out!)
- Seeing all the glaciers (Parque Nacional Los Glaciares near El Calafate)
- Hanging out with Grandma and Grandpa and the boat captain on the glacier boat ride
- Our house in Bariloche was awesome
- Seeing the lake monster and playing in the fort (Lago Nahuel Huapi)
- Eating lots of hamburguesas and drinking Fanta
- My birthday cake
- My smoothie at the hotel in Bariloche
- Seeing the glaciers
A few other good times captured on film include: